Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day 2 - Wandering around Beijing



A candid shot of four locals resting in Beijing (photo by Chrissy)

On Tuesday morning, July 5, I had the day to wonder Beijing a bit while Casey went to work. We started out the morning with delicious French pastries, at a European bakery and then we walked through part of the hutongs to the famous lake area, Houhai.


Beijing Chic


Casey in the Hutongs

Casey then went to work for a while and I walked part of the lake and then attempted to get back to the Confusious temple and the Drum tower. I could see the Drum tower off the main street when we entered the lake but as soon as I started walking down the tiny, winding streets I got all turned around. I ended up walking through hospital grounds where everyone looked at me like I was crazy. I kept trying to find an exit but it just took me to another wing of the hospital. It was like a bad dream where you can never get out. Finally, I did make it to the Bell and Drum towers and from there you could clearly see where the more touristy areas were.

In order to visit the drum tower, you had to climb about 100 steps straight up to the top to see all the old drums. These were originally used as musical instruments and then as a sort of town clock to tell time. Every 30 minutes there is a demonstration and drum ceremony. I wanted to see it, but after climbing the Great Wall, my thighs were so sore an felt like rubber! Each step up, I had to hang on to the railing, I didn't think I would make it! But, I did and it was very interesting.



I would have visite the bell tower too, which is the exact same style of building across the square but it holds the bells. I just didn't think I could climb any more steps that day, however, so I went to the Confusious temple and walked around some of the old streets and hutongs of Beijing for the afternoon.

Here are a few of those images:



Amazing the things they could carry on their bikes around town!





Confucious Temple





At the end of the afternoon, I was exhausted and Casey and I went to eat Hot Pot - delicious! Then we took the 30 minute stroll back home, both exhausted. The weather in the evenings was so lovely in Beijing. It cooled off from the day and was usually in the low 80s. A very nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment