Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 3 - Meeting the rest of the group


A tee-shirt we found in Beijing - wow!

Thursday, the 6th, Casey had to leave very early to travel to another part of China and I was to meet the rest of the teaching group late afternoon at our hotel. There were so many places I wanted to see but after two whirwind days, I couldn't get myself to move very quickly. I didn't leave until later that day. I was able to get out and get a taxi to the hotel where the group was meeting. After checking in I went to the Temple of Heaven. It was just two stops away on the metro. Such a beautiful temple with a huge park surrounding it.




This is a very important Taoist temple, built by the same architect as the Forbidden City, and is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You can find more information from Wikiedia below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Heaven


When I got back to the hotel soome of the other teachers had arrived, so I walked to the famous Night Market, about 20 minutes away with one of the other teachers.
The market was incredible with lights and lanterns and all kinds and all kinds of souvenirs and food. I just had an egg roll but they were selling live scropians, or some kind of beetle on a stick!! Ew!!! I guess they fry them and people eat them; I don't know, but I shudder to think about it! I couldn't bring myself to eat any scorpions either. Anthony Bourdain would have been disappointed. Where is my sense of adventure, right?:)

Some photos from the market:





No comments:

Post a Comment